Real-time systems are quite difficult to test. It takes time to isolate the source of an error. Often the error is quite difficult to reproduce due to the temporal behavior of the whole application.
It is a fact that a simulation of an embedded system that is running on a personal computer makes this task in many ways a lot easier. Some of the main advantages are:
- It provides you a bunch of much more powerful and comfortable tools to find and solve problems concerning the software.
- The edit-compile-link-start cycle goes a lot faster than on the target as there is no downloading and so on.
- Tests perform much faster and are easier to automate.
- You can easily change the hardware configuration of the whole system and test your program under those new circumstances (without the help of a screwdriver or a solder pen). It is possible to simulate and exchange subsystems and peripherals as pieces of software whenever this is needed.
- It is possible to develop the software under a realistic environment before the hardware is even ready to run. Or at least it allows you to design and build hard- and software in parallel.
- Simulation is the ideal support for rapid prototyping.
In our Simulation Services we provide some handy tools that help you simulate your real-time application under windows.